Hi all -- just wanted to let you know that despite the crazy weather in the Pacific Rim lately, we are safe and sound here in Sasebo. The latest typhoon passed over us on the way to Tokyo, we only experienced some hefty winds. I lost a few flower pots and one roof tile, but that's all.....
Lovely fall has arrived and we're loving the upper 60s daily. I'm reminded of how cold the winter was last year and how my shampoo bottle froze... looks like miss Cora will be wearing layers!
ALSO I realized that I've failed to blog about GETTING A JOB here in Sasebo! Upon arriving here, I sought work at our health clinic on base, but was told that they could not hire a civilian. Since we don't have a hospital, I knew that I would be leaving the aspect of work which I enjoyed most -- catching babies. BUT, I do have other clinical skills.... The clinic here was without a female provider for a long time and many women were choosing to not get annual exams. I mentioned this to my doctor during my 6 week postpartum check and he IMMEDIATELY got the ball rolling to hire me as a Women's NP here. A couple of months later (and many speedbumps), I've been hired as a contractor here part-time. I am working 3 8-hour days a week at the main base and clinic annex on the housing base. My schedule is chocked full and I'm already hearing lots of praises for being here :)
Deciding to work again was challenging for me now that I am a mom. However, if we keep the Navy as our career, it's good for me to get familiar with the system so I can easily work at other duty stations. I was surprised when they asked me to "name my price" - I shot high (at least higher than colleagues stateside told me they are making) and got it! SO in addition to keeping my skills sharp, having some adult contact, getting known within the Navy healthcare system, we should have a hefty savings for a down-payment on our next house!
Cora's enrolled in Japanese daycare and is being treated SOOO well. They adore her and call her "Kameko chan". She's one of 2 babies there. I'm hoping she picks up some Japanese language this soon! The daycare is convenient and connected to a pediatrician's practice, so I feel safe leaving her there. Seeing her smile when I pick her up melts me each day...
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment