I'm not one to go on and on and on and on, as I hate to be bored and would hate to bore others, so this is a quick summary of what's happened and what's resolved thus far!
- Lil'r M's due date was Sunday the 5th. Since my pregnancy complication of polyhydramnios and history of a big baby, we were eager to get this kiddo delivered! Induction of labor was planned for Monday the 6th.
- Late afternoon on Sunday, my dad started having some sharp pains in his back, accompanied by nausea and vomiting. He was our planned childcare for Cora when I went to the hospital to have baby. Hmmm, not such a good idea. Remember, we recently moved here to CT and I don't know anyone else to just call and ask to step in.
- Monday morning I had to be at hospital at 7 am for labor induction. Mom drove me, but I asked her to go home and watch Cora and dad, rather than be with me as support. This is where my labor doula Wendy was my angel. She was with me the whole day and called mom with updates and talked to Greg when he could call in and I couldn't talk... She was stellar! And pure volunteer through "Operation Special Delivery" -- doulas who volunteer to women who's hubs are deployed during birth of kids.
- Mom did manage to come back to the hospital for LITERALLY the birth of Lil'r M, as mom walked in 5 minutes before she was born.
- I had hoped for a midwife delivery, naturally, but she had to leave and I was being managed by a doctor (who was very nice, but I had never met her before that day). The doctor stepped out and promised to be back shortly, but this baby wanted out and that's what she did, under her own direction and she was delivered by an RN who was in the room with me!
- Baby was big and bumped around a bit on the way out, which left a bruise on her head. This lead to hyperbilirubinemia (AKA jaundice AKA yellowing of skin), as her liver is not yet mature to process those red blood cells. She's been watched closely and her levels are improving, which will mean she doesn't need any additional therapy other than very frequent feeds to make sure her systems are working efficiently.
- I was discharged to come home from the hospital on Wednesday. A couple of hours after getting home, dad's pain returned and seemed worse. I insisted mom take him to the ER and assured her that we were fine on our own at home. Sure enough, he had a kidney stone, which necessitated hospitalization and surgery on Thursday. Surgery was a success and he seems to be on the mend. We're expecting him home later today or tomorrow morning!
- Today, we went to her pediatrician visit and learned that baby girl's bilirubin levels are still elevated, but trending down, which is good news. However, on physical exam, we learned that she has a broken left clavicle (collarbone)! It wasn't picked up by the NP at the hospital and her doc doesn't think it's severe, but another thing to watch. Doc wasn't surprised given the size of baby and said it's quite common and not painful for baby.
BREATHE! Somehow we're keeping it all together. Sorry for the novel summary. Please keep us all in your prayers. My mom is a rockstar :) Cora is pretty darn patient and going with the flow well. I feel like I'm still in a daze, to be honest!




1 comment:
Wow Meg! What a week you have had!!! Congratulations to you and Greg on your beautiful baby girl. Praying for both of you...for her little collarbone to heal quickly and for your strength. I know it can't be easy going through all of this without Greg there. Thankfully you have your parents there for support. I hope your dad is feeling better now.
The pictures are great! You look wonderful and Cora looks so happy to have a baby sister :)
We really miss you guys!!! It's not the same here without you.
Congratulations again! Praying for Greg's quick and safe return to his 3 girls :)
Love,
Kristin and Fred
Post a Comment