Tuesday, October 20, 2009

catch-up!









Gee, I kinda knew this would happen.... too busy with life to keep regular updates on the blog. BUT, knowing how many of you stay tuned to "lostinsasebo," so I promise to try harder! Balancing parenthood and working is quite a chore, and I only work part time! I have such respect for single moms who work full time...

We are good. Cora is changing daily, it seems. We're so happy to have gotten both sets of grandparents using Skype, so they can webcam with us whenever to see her in action. It's fun :) She now has 2 teeth and is working on her third. She seems to forever have the daycare nose, but only gets upset when I try to clean it, SIGH! Any tips there?

The past couple of weekends were fun and I have loads of pictures to share....

First we went as a family to Fukuoka -- the closest "big city" here in Japan. We stayed at a hotel right downtown and were able to do a fair amount of shopping! Our goal was some repairs at the Apple store, which ended up being easy as pie. We also hit BabyGap for some winter boots for miss Cora. We were thrilled to find a ColdStoneCreamery (which we used to travel to Guam to get when we lived in Saipan!) and were reminded how dangerously overweight we'd likely be if there were one in Sasebo! We also joined the locals for late nite snacks at little foodtrucks. We sat on tiny seats at a common table and enjoyed fresh gyoza (dumplings) and beer. It was lovely. Reminiscent of the riverwalk in SanAntonio or Singapore combined with Philadelphia..... someone has to get my point, right? Check out Cora's bath in the hotel sink... she treated it like it was her private jacuzzi :)

Finally, we hit the antique shrine sale that has become a favorite for me... Greg's first time, he loved it! We managed to get a 90 year old ship's compass that is fabulous and a little bench to match Cora's antique Japanese school desk. For now, it sits in our entry way for shoe dressing, as no shoes are allowed in Japanese homes -- very practical purchase!

Last weekend I went to Akizuki, a town not too far from home, to dress in kimono and stroll the town shopping. It was so fun to get all dolled-up! The women of the community offer this service a few times a year and it's loved by the Gaijin here (that's Japanese for white folk).... for 3000 Yen (about $40 with current exchange rate), I got to pick my own kimono, obi and gaeta (shoes), get dressed in it and keep it! We had a lovely day weather-wise and a great souvenir!

Right now we have a friend's 14 year old son staying with us and I'm learning the joys of parenthood to teenagers! Our friend is in Egypt for some Professional Continuing Ed. Reid has been pretty good -- but facing teenage attitude and morning grumpiness is a bit trying. Balancing school and extra-curricular activities has been challenging, too..... but all fine. We're having fun once the homework is done :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! beautiful kimono! hope you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

that picture of cora in the jacuzzi is hilarious! i can't stop giggling.

Les said...

That picture is great! Cora's expression to her dad is srt of "leave me alone ---I am tired and it is my time to relax!"